For some reason I get error 8024402C when running Windows Update on my servers from time to time, haven’t nailed down a root cause but this seems to fix it.
- Log on with and administrator account.
- Open a CMD window as an administrator.
- In the CMD window, type “net stop wuauserv” (without the quotes) and press Enter.
- Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder located in c:\windows (rename to whatever you like).
- In the previously opened CMD window type “net start wuauserv” (without the quotes) and press Enter.
- Run Windows Update again
This worked for me, hope it works for you.