To enable/disable 8dot3 naming on a Windows Server 2008 machine you have a couple of different options.
1. Open Regedit (As an Administrator of course)
2. Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation]
3. Set NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation to one of the following values: 0 = Enable 8dot3 naming, 1 = Disable 8dot3 naming
You can also use the FSUTIL command by:
1. Open a CMD window (as an Administrator of course)
2. type the following: fsutil 8dot3name set
0 = Enable 8dot3 naming, 1 = Disable 8dot3 naming
Either way you choose to do it you’ll need to reboot for the changes to take effect.